Monday, August 16, 2010

Ozzie Smith backs Sandberg

As much as I hate the Cubs, I hold a tremendous amount of respect for a Hall of Famer such as Ryne Sandberg. I agree with the Wizard of Oz on this one.
Smith says the Cubs are looking at a no-brainer decision when it comes to hiring a manager to replace Lou Piniella. The obvious selection, he says, is fellow Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, who has managed at all three minor league levels for the Cubs.

"To me, there's one guy," Smith told the Quad-City Times. "He has paid his dues. He has been a standup citizen. He is a Hall of Famer. I don't know exactly what it is they are looking for, but I think it should be a no-brainer."

Smith and Sandberg never were teammates, but Smith said, "We have always had a great relationship. We had a chance to play in a lot of All-Star games together."

But while Sandberg may be headed back to Wrigley Field, Smith says he doesn't anticipate ever returning to the dugout to manage.

"People ask me if I want to manage, and I just never really have had that bug," Smith said. "Maybe it will hit me at some point in time, but at this point, it has not."

No comments: