Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mike Matheny: The New Manager

It will take some time getting used to referring to Mike Matheny as the newest Cardinals' manager but that's what he is.
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
The Cardinals announced it this evening and will be hosting a press conference at 11 central.
Former Cardinals catcher Mike Matheny manager will become the team's new manager, the club announced Sunday evening.

He will be introduced at a Busch Stadium news conference on Monday at 11 a.m. CT.
Here's to the very best of wishes for next season.

The word from Joe Strauss is that Matheny has a two year deal with a club option for 2014.

B.J. Rains has some quotes from the team.
"I know everyone is excited, I know that for a fact," said third baseman David Freese. "Anyone that thinks Mike Matheny won't be a winning manager has another thing coming.

"He soaks everything in. I've noticed him the last few years soaking everything in when guys are talking – coaches, players everybody. He's a guy that loves baseball. He's a leader. He has a certain presence where you know Mike Matheny is in the room. It's going to take him a long way."[...]

"It's definitely going to be different than playing for Tony, that's for sure," said infielder Dan Descalso. "I'm interested to see how Mike handles it and what he brings to the table. I saw the type of player he was and how much of a leader he was on the field as a catcher and I'm sure he will be the same in the dugout.

"I think he's a great guy for the job. He seems like a natural leader. I can't wait to play for him."[...]

"Mike has helped me through a lot of things I have dealt with over the years," Freese said. "It's weird because he's a very good friend of mine and now he's my manager. That's the coolest part about it."
Meanwhile, Matt offers more right here on the 49th manager in club history.

No comments: